ArtYah Community Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Savedtime

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #1 
I just got poison ivy for the first time in my life. I'm well over 50 and have always been immune to it. I could roll in it and it wouldn't affect me (I even ate some when I was 10 years old on a dare with no ill effects) so when my neighbor was complaining about getting poison ivy from a patch of it growing in the hedge between our lots I told her I'd take care of it.

Long story short, I got Poison ivy and had a severe reaction to it. One hand is covered and swollen to the point that they wanted to cut my wedding ring off at the emergency care place I went to, and my arm is severely blistered. They told me it was the worst case of poison ivy they've seen this year and gave me steroid pills and a steroid cream to take care of it, which is supposed to help but hasn't done much so far, although to be fair, I only got them yesterday afternoon.

They told me that it's not uncommon for people to suddenly become allergic to things, and it would probably be much worse if I ever get it again (which wasn't the delightful news I was hoping to hear...)

Has anyone else here suddenly become allergic to something that never bothered them in the past?
0
Essentially Southern

Avatar / Picture

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #2 
Oh my goodness! How horrible for you!

I had a very bad reaction to poison ivy a few years back as well. I had it around my right eye (spread there before I knew I even had it), my legs and arms and a spot on my stomach from scratching. I was prescribed steroid cream and pills, too. But the itch was horrible. I did get relief from spraying straight rubbing alcohol onto the blisters (not around the eye). Alcohol is drying and will help alleviate the itch and help dry up the blisters.

I hope you feel better!

__________________
Essentially Southern
https://www.artyah.com/seller/essentiallysouthern
0
Savedtime

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for kind thoughts and the rubbing alcohol tip, Essentiallly. The meds they gave me have had a few days to work now and my poison ivy is much improved. I didn't have it around my eyes (thank goodness), so it sounds like you had it worse than I did.

I'm going to wear long sleeves and gloves when working on the yard for now on.
0
Maryannc

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 35
Reply with quote  #4 

My husband is an arborist and gets it on a fairly regular basis. He's gotten it so bad that the only thing that seems to help is a cortisone shot.

Along the lines of suddenly being allergic to something, I had a trail mix one day and was allergic to something in it. My eyes swelled and my throat started to swell. Luckily I had an allergy pill with me for my hayfever and that helped it from getting very bad, but I had to leave work and was a mess.  I have never had a food allergy in my life and have no idea what was in there that I was allergic too.


__________________
Jewelry and Keychain shop: https://www.artyah.com/seller/morningskyjewelry
Instagram: http:// https://www.instagram.com/maryannc726/
0
Savedtime

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #5 
I didn't need a shot, his must have been awful.

I wonder what was in that trail mix. I'm glad it didn't happen again.
0
normasbathandbody

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 151
Reply with quote  #6 
Yikes! Take an oatmeal bath. But be careful as oatmeal is drying but it works!
__________________
-Norma's bath and Body
https://www.artyah.com/seller/normasbathandbody
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.