ArtYah Community Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
vintagerepeats

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 78
Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone explain this GDPR to me?  I read Craig's email, but don't really understand it.  Is there something that we need to do?
__________________
https://www.artyah.com/seller/vintagerepeats
0
MicheleMade

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 145
Reply with quote  #2 
I might add something to my policies, but only if it's really easy to do.  I plan on making one for Etsy first, then using something incredibly similar, if not identical, here on ArtYah.  I would really, really love to skip all the legalese and details and just write "I promise not to use your info for anything other than making your transaction perfect for you and me. Period."  Haha, but that won't fly, of course. 

Whether we are required to add anything to our ArtYah shop, I really don't know.  I am beginning to wonder if Etsy might be requiring us to do something we don't need to do, simply because I haven't heard a peep from eBay about this.  eBay does address the new policy for their site, but I get the feeling all of us sellers are covered by their policy.  I wonder if Etsy is trying to pass some of the responsibility to us, or they are just really doing everything possible to cover their a$$e$.  [wink]  Oh, and I haven't heard anything from Aftcra either.

Whenever I get around to doing this dreaded homework and write a policy for Etsy, I'll try to remember to come back here and paste it as a comment, so anyone can copy it if they like.  I don't know if it's just me, but it really sounds like a horrible homework assignment.  If I don't meet the 25th deadline, I won't be panicking.

__________________
Handmade Crochet Scarves, Buttoned Neck Warmers, & Curtain Tiebacks
https://www.artyah.com/seller/michelemade
0
martique

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 92
Reply with quote  #3 
That is exactly what I did Michele. In this Artyah shop, Martique, you can see the very abridged version of the company privacy policy. It says what you indicated, to the effect that I do not give info to any other party etc. The privacy policy in my "other" shop is identical with just the shop name changed. 
I'm wondering if Artyah or Etsy have to disclose the policies they abide by, but each individual shop keeper is responsible again for the data that comes down to them. Artyah cannot be responsible if a shop owner uses information unethically. 
0
Christine

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 563
Reply with quote  #4 
From my understanding it is a privacy policy for use in Europe and for anyone who is in, or sells to European customers or holds any information on them now has to get permission to retain that information (think newsletters, email groups etc).  It gives us the right to be "forgotton" (have all our details deleted from sellers system) on reuest and that anyone who has our details has to set out exactly what they will be used for and who they will be shared with.

If you do a search for GDPR you can find out more details.
 

__________________


Kerioak
 
Art
  Rosemarys Memories Vintage    Cottage Crochet    Twitter   Made in England

0
judy

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
From my understanding it is a privacy policy for use in Europe and for anyone who is in, or sells to European customers or holds any information on them now has to get permission to retain that information (think newsletters, email groups etc).  It gives us the right to be "forgotton" (have all our details deleted from sellers system) on reuest and that anyone who has our details has to set out exactly what they will be used for and who they will be shared with.

If you do a search for GDPR you can find out more details.
 

__________________
http://www.artyah.com/seller/JudysWoodnMore
0
judy

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #6 
I just wrote this and added it to my shop simple but seems to cover it all, I hope.

We only use customer information to fulfill orders and do not store or use customer information for any other purpose. Information such as name, address, and email address is not stored on our computers. If and when required, we will make contact to communicate with you about your order status using the Artyah platform.


__________________
http://www.artyah.com/seller/JudysWoodnMore
0
martique

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 92
Reply with quote  #7 
Yes, this is also my understanding, Christine.
I do sell to the UK from Canada on Artyah so I put a policy in place.
0
ArtsyCrafteryStudio

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 506
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
I just wrote this and added it to my shop simple but seems to cover it all, I hope.

We only use customer information to fulfill orders and do not store or use customer information for any other purpose. Information such as name, address, and email address is not stored on our computers. If and when required, we will make contact to communicate with you about your order status using the Artyah platform.



That's a very good one, Judy. It's similar to the statement I will write.

__________________
Sandi [comp]  ♥  Artsy Craftery Studio  ♥  The Creative Seller Website  ♥  Pinterest  ♥  Instagram  ♥  Facebook  ♥  Twitter

0
vintagerepeats

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 78
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
I just wrote this and added it to my shop simple but seems to cover it all, I hope.

We only use customer information to fulfill orders and do not store or use customer information for any other purpose. Information such as name, address, and email address is not stored on our computers. If and when required, we will make contact to communicate with you about your order status using the Artyah platform.

 

Thank you everyone for simplifying it for me.  Judy, if you don't mind, I would like to copy and use exactly what you've added to your policies. 


__________________
https://www.artyah.com/seller/vintagerepeats
0
Christine

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 563
Reply with quote  #10 
This is what I have come up with so far, I  "think" it covers the points we need to include but is liable to change if I have missed anything out.

In accordance with the European GDPR your details will only be used in relation to delivery of your item(s) and communicating with you regarding your order.  I do not send out mailing lists nor share your details with any third party unless legally required to do so or if there is a dispute details will be shared with Artyah or Paypal as payment processor.  Your details are stored as securely as I am able, are not transferred to any Cloud based system nor transferred outside the EU.  I will retain your details for a period of six years as required for UK tax purposes.   You may have the right to request information on the details I hold on you. You can contact me via Artyah Messages
Your order will come through Paypal and the Artyah system,  who have separate policies over which I have no control.

__________________


Kerioak
 
Art
  Rosemarys Memories Vintage    Cottage Crochet    Twitter   Made in England

0
ArtsyCrafteryStudio

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 506
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
This is what I have come up with so far, I  "think" it covers the points we need to include but is liable to change if I have missed anything out.

In accordance with the European GDPR your details will only be used in relation to delivery of your item(s) and communicating with you regarding your order.  I do not send out mailing lists nor share your details with any third party unless legally required to do so or if there is a dispute details will be shared with Artyah or Paypal as payment processor.  Your details are stored as securely as I am able, are not transferred to any Cloud based system nor transferred outside the EU.  I will retain your details for a period of six years as required for UK tax purposes.   You may have the right to request information on the details I hold on you. You can contact me via Artyah Messages
Your order will come through Paypal and the Artyah system,  who have separate policies over which I have no control.


I like your policy, but what details would I be holding? I don't hold any details on anyone. Do you mean email address to send newsletters or shop updates to? Does that mean I am to delete all European email addresses from my customer database lists that I may keep on my computer? Do I have to count off every 6 yrs now and then do this?

Also, is this statement "nor transferred outside the EU." written from your viewpoint since you're located in the UK? How could that part of your statement apply to me? I'm already outside of the EU.

I know you have written this for you, but I'm trying to get more understanding. Thank you kindly for your clarification, Christine. [smile]

__________________
Sandi [comp]  ♥  Artsy Craftery Studio  ♥  The Creative Seller Website  ♥  Pinterest  ♥  Instagram  ♥  Facebook  ♥  Twitter

0
Christine

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 563
Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Sandi,  You would have the customers name and address, probably their email address (via Paypal) and the details of what they have ordered and how much they paid.  It is my understanding that you have to include what you have, where it is held (inside, outside EU, how secure it is), how long it is held, how they contact you to find out what you know about them, who you share the information with (in our case postal or courier services). 

Any one you have information (EU) has the right to request to know what it is and to request to have it deleted.  In the UK we have to hold financial records for at least 6 years so I am assuming that would include the customer's name as well as how much they spent.  

If you hold information on anyone within the EU, for say, an email group or newsletter you MUST contact them and get their permission to continue to hold their data before 25th May.  If they do not respond you must to delete it.

Disclaimer:  I am not an expert, the above is only my understanding from reading though the information on this subject and all the emails I have received from various organizations.  I believe it now gives EU residents the right to be "forgotten"

__________________


Kerioak
 
Art
  Rosemarys Memories Vintage    Cottage Crochet    Twitter   Made in England

0
ArtsyCrafteryStudio

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 506
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Hi Sandi,  You would have the customers name and address, probably their email address (via Paypal) and the details of what they have ordered and how much they paid.  It is my understanding that you have to include what you have, where it is held (inside, outside EU, how secure it is), how long it is held, how they contact you to find out what you know about them, who you share the information with (in our case postal or courier services). 

Any one you have information (EU) has the right to request to know what it is and to request to have it deleted.  In the UK we have to hold financial records for at least 6 years so I am assuming that would include the customer's name as well as how much they spent.  

If you hold information on anyone within the EU, for say, an email group or newsletter you MUST contact them and get their permission to continue to hold their data before 25th May.  If they do not respond you must to delete it.

Disclaimer:  I am not an expert, the above is only my understanding from reading though the information on this subject and all the emails I have received from various organizations.  I believe it now gives EU residents the right to be "forgotten"


Thank you. That does help.

__________________
Sandi [comp]  ♥  Artsy Craftery Studio  ♥  The Creative Seller Website  ♥  Pinterest  ♥  Instagram  ♥  Facebook  ♥  Twitter

0
ArtsyCrafteryStudio

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 506
Reply with quote  #14 
In reviewing the forum discussions and the Etsy guidelines, I understand that I don't need to address the EU issue. Anyone who does not sell overseas, or to the EU countries specifically, does not have to comply. Digitals and certain other categories are exempt. The privacy policies of the venue, that address the EU requirements, are sufficient.
__________________
Sandi [comp]  ♥  Artsy Craftery Studio  ♥  The Creative Seller Website  ♥  Pinterest  ♥  Instagram  ♥  Facebook  ♥  Twitter

0
le french attic

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #15 

Normally you do not have to do any thing to comply to the european privicy policy(GDPR),other then click when asked as all the sites that contacted me E-bay Google and many others etc.

Etsy is way off with their understanding of this european privacy policy.

They are the only site in my knowledge not to have sent users their protection policys .But asked their sellers to do so , A real fiasco As it is Etsy them that hold all the vital information our ID info- our credit card info- all our clients payment info- PP and credit card included .

They have our IP adress and more .We have basically nothing but basic information that we share at the end of the year with the tax people .No clients names or adresses just   basic financial info.

Etsy as usual has screwed around with peoples heads had them freak out etc .It is them that have not complied to the rulings

they have no understanding of european rulings except that they are better off with an office in the south of Ireland as a tax haven. Money money .they have no interst in the sellers in general and turn the rules as they want while giving lessons to others...I could go on .But

Hope this makes things clearer


__________________
https://www.artyah.com/seller/cevennes30vintage
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.